Kentucky Coal Heritage
Coal Camps & Communities

     
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
Providence, Kentucky
Webster County

providence.jpg (35649 bytes)
City of Providence 1924, view is to the southeast.

This 4th class city is on the Hopkins county line, 6 1/2 miles S SW of Dixon.  It was founded by Richard Savage who arrived there with his wife in 1820.  The settlement that grew up around his store was first called Savageville but was renamed Providence when the post office was established on Oct. 16, 1828.

This was one of the important coal mining towns of the Western coal field.  It is located in southern Webster County, close to Hopkins County line.  During the years this town and the coal industry of the region adjoining has had a phenomenal growth.





 

 

 

 

 

Copyright 1996-2007 Kentucky Foundation
All rights reserved. 
E-mail webmaster@miningusa.com 
  Hosted and designed by
Mining Internet Services, Inc.