Kentucky Coal Heritage
Coal Camps & Communities

     
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
Prestonsburg, Kentucky
Floyd County


"Photo about 1910"

Prestonsburg, the seat of Floyd county, is located on the Levisa Fork of the Big Sandy River. It was founded in 1797 and was originally known as Preston's Station, for John Preston. It was renamed Prestonsburg in 1799 when it was made the seat of the newly formed Floyd county. The first post office opened in 1816 as Floyd Court House. The population in 1990 was 3,558.



 

 

 

 

 

Copyright 1996-2007 Kentucky Foundation
All rights reserved. 
E-mail webmaster@miningusa.com 
  Hosted and designed by
Mining Internet Services, Inc.