|Kentucky Coal Heritage|
Coal Camps & Communities
This coal town is located 1 mi north of Neon and 8 1/2 mi northeast of Whitesburg, lies at the mouth of Quillen Fork of Yonts Fork. Though officially known as Jackhorn since the post office was est. with this name on Nov. 17, 1916, it is now locally called Hemphill. It is not known why it was first called Jackhorn or why the post office continues to bear this name. The Hemphill name was applied to the camp built by the Elk Horn Coal Co. around 1920 and honors Alexander Julian Hemphill (1856-1920) of Hemphill and Associates, Wall Street firm that financed the Elk Horn operations.