|Kentucky Coal Heritage|
Coal Camps & Communities
The picture above is taken from the west to the east and shows the first homes that were built in town. At the right is a train pulling the first of millions of tons of coal that came from the 303 and 304 mines. The 303 tipple is shown in the distance. The stream of water still holds it's same bed after eighty years of flowing. A power pole in the foreground shows that electricity came into Haymond near or in the year of 1913. The power was generated at the Power house in Jenkins and more than likely sold to Elkhorn Coal Corp., who in turn sold it their employees.