|Kentucky Coal Heritage|
Coal Camps & Communities
This village and former coal town with post office extends for several miles along Miller Creek, a tributary of the Levisa Fork of the Big Sandy River, 1 1/2 miles se of Paintsville's present city limits. In 1909 the Consolidation Coal Co. acquired John C. C. Mayo's large coal holdings here and established a town named for Van Lear Black, a member of their board of directors. The town was disincorporated in 1963.